Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Making the Characters Real

There are so many things to keep in mind when writing anything and especially a story with characters. A certain amount of ego has to enter into it while I'm writing in order to keep the intimidation of the task and the anxiety associated with it at bay. While writing I exude a sense of confidence. "I can do this, no problem." Then when I stop the doubts creep in. "Is this really any good?" I certainly hope so but it isn't for me to judge.

One thing I think is important is to treat the characters in the story in such a way that the person reading about them will find them real and, more importantly, care about them and what happens to them. I think that is the thing that makes a story worth reading.

So what do I do with the characters in the stories I write to make the reader (or viewer) care about them? I wish I knew. Writing this stuff would be so much easier if I did. I do what I can to make them real. As I write down what they do and say, I can see them, and as I progress in observing them and writing down what they do and say they become more real to me. That's about the best that I can do.

I hope when people read The Seven Second Kiss that Connie, her parents, Jordan, Jim, Mr. Evans, Sam, the bartender, Mae, Emma, Tommy and Eva will become people that are real to them and people who they care about.

No comments: