Friday, February 15, 2013

Characters in The Seven Second Kiss: Eva

Eva plays a small but significant part in The Seven Second Kiss. She is the singer in Tommy's band, which is engaged to entertain in the club where Connie has gained employment washing dishes. Due to circumstances that are unspecified in the book, Eva is unable to perform for a period of time leaving Tommy's band without a vocalist.

That opens the door for Connie to perform in the band. Unlike Peggy Sawyer in 42nd Street Connie does not come back a star. Instead she comes back with a strong desire to be a star with many obstacles in her way.

Eva is much older than Connie but still holding on desperately to her prime. I didn't specify what had brought Eva down because I didn't really know for sure at the time. Looking back I'm pretty sure Eva had been taking heroin and suffered from an overdose.

In a way, the book is on the light side when it comes to things going on in the world. I think I did that because most of what takes place is from Connie's viewpoint and she is essentially naive and innocent. She does undergo a significant character arc but by the end of the novel she hung onto her innocence. If I write a sequel I expect it to be darker and more explicit as Connie becomes streetwise or loses her innocence.

I expect Eva to play a major part in that. I think she has the potential to be a very interesting personality in a sequel.

No comments: