|TOWN OF RENFREW|
LET IT FLOURISH
ONTARIO HERITAGE ACT 1974
Here's what the City of Renfrew has to say about its Fire Department.
"It was the winter of 1873 when fire raged through the village of Renfrew, killing four people and destroying over a block of businesses and buildings. That spring the Renfrew Fire Department was born with the first volunteer fire brigade and a single hand pump "fire engine."
"Today, the Renfrew Fire Department has 11 full-time firefighters including the Chief, and 12 volunteers who respond to an average 225 calls a year.
"Built in 1921, the Fire Hall is a beautiful historic building with a tower still used to dry the hoses and a classic brass pole, although the stairs are more popular. Located at 152 Plaunt Street South, the Hall is approximately 8,000 square feet and is home to two pumpers, a 75-foot ladder truck, a heavy rescue unit and an antique 1951 pumper for parades and display.
"Renfrew’s firefighters don’t just fight fires. They run fire prevention programs, do safety inspections, aid in missing people searches, assist fellow neighbouring fire departments and are always there to use their Jaws of Life Equipment when needed.
"Ready to respond 24-hours a day, Renfrew firefighters dedicate their lives to saving others."