Monday, February 03, 2014

Some Pictures Taken Using My New Polarizing Filter

I got a polarizing filter for my camera. Then I looked up how to use it. Oh. Only use it on very bright sunny days.

So I can't just put it on the lens and leave it there. I put an ultra violet filter on the camera and I'm leaving that on it, as it protects the exposed lens elements.

For mid winter today, February 3, 2014, is a nice warm sunny day. I put the polarizing filter on my camera and went out to take some pictures.

If the day had been hazy I think I would have noticed more of a difference. So here are the pictures I took.

I got vignetting happening on this picture. It's not excessive and it maybe eve adds a certain something. It wasn't intentional. I'll have to watch out for it.

I wanted to see if I could get better saturation on the far line of trees. I think I may have done it.

There's a neighbour out clearing a path on his property. I don't want to invade his privacy too much but if you're doing something interesting I'm going to photograph you.


There's the vignetting again. The lens is 18mm to 55mm and I have it at the widest angle/shortest length. That tells me I can't stack filters for wide angle shots. As well, like some of the groundhogs yesterday, I see my shadow. That's a hazard I'll have to learn to watch for.


This is an exercise in focusing attention. I'm not sure I succeeded. I wanted to feature the clump of trees standing proud in the background. I used a longer setting on the lens and placed the clump about a third from the right and about a third from the top. I think the overall composition turned out alright but I don't look at this and think, 'Well, that's the subject.' The colours almost belie the fact this was taken in mid winter. All the trees are evergreens.

Again with focusing attention. I wanted to put attention on the tree that overhangs the road with its trunk at about 45º. A also didn't want to go really close in on it as the surrounding environment is texturally interesting.

This picture is a failure. I wanted to feature the two little trees in the foreground but they blend into the trees behind them. Other than that I think the composition is OK.

I wanted to get the texture of the crab apple tree against the sky. I think this succeeded.

No comments: