Thursday, July 02, 2015

BT93

Greely had its annual Canada Day Festival. I didn't participate much this year. I had a gig earlier in the day, playing rhythm guitar in a jazz band at a retirement home. We played to sixty people. Five people stopped me on my way out of the place to tell me how much they enjoyed the music. So that's nice.

I did go over to check out the Greely Canada Day Festival, but things were just getting underway and I had an invite to go somewhere else so I didn't get to see much of the celebration. I did get to photograph the Greely Fire Station 93 fire truck, BT93. The letters tell what kind of apparatus this is and the number is the station number. For example T35 would be a tower at station 35. P47 would be a pumper at station 47. I have no idea what BT stands for. I looked it up on line and found references to the vehicle but no explanation as to the type of apparatus.

BT93 backed into place with a car on a trailer. I am assuming that the car
was used for an extrication demonstration. There are car dealers that
donate low value or write-off automobiles to the fire service for training
and demonstration purposes. Due to its proximity to Mitch Owens Road
and Bank Street/Highway 31, many of Station 93's calls involve rescuing
people from cars that have had collisions.



BT93 and others like it are ideally suited to the rural environment with respect
to fire and rescue. The vehicle looks to be a hybrid crew cab pickup truck with
an enhanced structure in place of a pickup bed. From the equipment that it
carries it looks like it can be used to perform a variety of duties.



No comments: